Good morning Brothers and Sisters, it is truly a pleasure to have the opportunity to speak to you today. My name is Tyler Larsen and I have been assigned to labor in the Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Mission English Speaking and I will enter the Provo MTC on July 22nd. A couple of weeks ago my family and I had the opportunity of driving through Oklahoma City on the way back from our church history tour so I can already tell you that it is a beautiful place full of trees and fields. The missionaries there are excited about the work and I am so excited to be able to join them.
The topic I will be speaking on today is Ch. 4 from Preach my Gospel, “How do I recognize and understand the Spirit?” I have sought the guidance of the spirit as I have prepared my message today and I pray that the spirit will be able to touch your hearts. First off, the spirit or Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead. He “has not a body of flesh and bones but is a personage of spirit, were it not so the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.” (D&C 130:22) It is important to remember the difference between the power of the Holy Ghost and the gift of the Holy Ghost. The power of the Holy Ghost is the means through which those who have not been baptized are able to feel and recognize the spirit as they learn correct principles and pray about the Book of Mormon. The gift of the Holy Ghost, however, entitles those who have received the required ordinances and who are living worthily to always have the companionship of the Holy Ghost. In the Bible Dictionary under Holy Ghost we read, “The gift [of the Holy Ghost] can come only after proper and authorized baptism, and is conferred by the laying on of hands…. The gift of the Holy Ghost is the right to have, whenever one is worthy, the companionship of the Holy Ghost.” The ability of always having his spirit to be with us is one of God’s greatest gifts to his children and we should always strive to live worthy of this gift.
Once we have the gift of the Holy Ghost, we need to learn how to recognize and understand it. In Preach my Gospel it says, “The spirit is always available to guide and direct you. However, the Spirit speaks quietly, through your feelings as well as your mind. One great challenge for you and those you work with is to recognize the quiet, subtle promptings of the Holy Ghost.” President Boyd K. Packer has taught, “The voice of the Spirit is described in the scripture as being neither ‘loud’ nor ‘harsh’. It is ‘not a voice of thunder, neither … voice of a great tumultuous noise.’ But rather, ‘a still voice of perfect mildness, as if it had been a whisper,’ and it can ‘pierce even to the very soul’ and ‘cause [the heart] to burn.’ …. The spirit does not get our attention by shouting or shaking us with a heavy hand. Rather it whispers. It caresses so gently that if we are preoccupied we may not feel it at all. Occasionally it will press just firmly enough for us to pay heed. But most of the time, if we do not heed the gentle feeling, the Spirit will withdraw and wait until we come seeking and listening and say in our manner and expression, like Samuel of ancient times, ‘Speak [Lord], for thy servant heareth.’” The scriptures teach us the roles of the Holy Ghost as well as how he speaks to us.
One of the chief roles of the Holy Ghost is to testify of truth and bring all things to our remembrance, including those truths which we understood before we came to this Earth. In John 14:26 it reads, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.” Also in Moroni 10:5 we read, “And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” I testify that this is true. When I read the entire Book of Mormon for the first time, I took Moroni’s promise and prayed to know for myself if the things I had read were true. I can still remember the warm feeling that came to me as I finished that prayer. Since that day I have always known that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and the spirit has reaffirmed that witness to me countless times as I have continually read and pondered it.
Another experience that stands out in my mind occurred towards the end of summer last year. The seminary council challenged everyone to read Doctrine and Covenants over the summer in preparation for seminary that year. I’m so glad I took the challenge. I had a testimony of Joseph Smith but as I read all the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants, I started to have some doubts and found myself questioning my testimony. As I read section 135, which announces the death of Joseph and Hyrum, I felt the spirit so strong. I felt the warmth and peace that only comes from the spirit. I will never forget that experience and I testify of the truthfulness and integrity of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
Before I discuss other ways of recognizing and understanding the spirit, I would like to read some scriptures that come to mind. In John 7:17 we read, “If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.” In Moroni 10:4 we read, “And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost. ” I can testify that as I have done the will of God by studying the scriptures, studying the words of the living prophets, praying daily, and seeking for the influence of the spirit that I have been able to know of the doctrine by the power of the Holy Ghost. The spirit has testified to me that this gospel is true because I have diligently sought to know whether or not it is true. For example, if I had given up on the D&C reading challenge I never would have read section 135 and been able to strengthen my testimony of the restoration of the gospel. We don’t know for sure when the witness of the Holy Ghost will come but as we patiently do the will of the Lord he will pour out his spirit upon us and we will know for ourselves that the gospel is true.
Another way the Holy Ghost speaks to us is through our mind and our heart. In D&C 8:2-3 we read, “Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart. Now, behold, this is the spirit of revelation.” In D&C 9:8-9 we read, “But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right. But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a stupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong.” From these scriptures we learn how to receive personal revelation. As we study problems and questions out in our mind, the Holy Ghost will enlighten our mind and then testify in our heart that our thoughts are correct. When I have a question I first study and think about possible answers. When I feel I reached the correct answer, I pray to know if I have found the truth. If the spirit “causes that my bosom shall burn within me” and I “feel that it is right” then I know that I have found the answer to my question. If I don’t feel anything and have a “stupor of thought” then I know that I need to keep searching for the correct answer. Sometimes, the answer will not always come when we want but if we patiently study and pray about it we will eventually receive the personal revelation we need.
In addition to answering our questions and giving us personal revelation, the spirit also guides and directs us. One of my favorite examples of this is President Thomas S. Monson. He has said, “Not a day has gone by that I have not communicated with my Father in Heaven through prayer. It is a relationship I cherish—one I would literally be lost without. If you do not now have such a relationship with your Father in Heaven, I urge you to work toward that goal. As you do so, you will be entitled to His inspiration and guidance in your life—necessities for each of us if we are to survive spiritually during our sojourn here on earth. Such inspiration and guidance are gifts He freely gives if we but seek them. What treasures they are! I am always humbled and grateful when my Heavenly Father communicates with me through His inspiration. I have learned to recognize it, to trust it, and to follow it.” In the October 2011 General Conference President Monson related the following story, “One rather dramatic experience took place in August of 1987 during the dedication of the Frankfurt Germany Temple. President Ezra Taft Benson had been with us for the first day or two of the dedication but had returned home, and so it became my opportunity to conduct the remaining sessions. On Saturday we had a session for our Dutch members who were in the Frankfurt Temple district. I was well acquainted with one of our outstanding leaders from the Netherlands, Brother Peter Mourik. Just prior to the session, I had the distinct impression that Brother Mourik should be called upon to speak to his fellow Dutch members during the session and that, in fact, he should be the first speaker. Not having seen him in the temple that morning, I passed a note to Elder Carlos E. Asay, our Area President, asking whether Peter Mourik was in attendance at the session. Just prior to standing up to begin the session, I received a note back from Elder Asay indicating that Brother Mourik was actually not in attendance, that he was involved elsewhere, and that he was planning to attend the dedicatory session in the temple the following day with the servicemen stakes. As I stood at the pulpit to welcome the people and to outline the program, I received unmistakable inspiration once again that I was to announce Peter Mourik as the first speaker. This was counter to all my instincts, for I had just heard from Elder Asay that Brother Mourik was definitely not in the temple. Trusting in the inspiration, however, I announced the choir presentation and the prayer and then indicated that our first speaker would be Brother Peter Mourik. As I returned to my seat, I glanced toward Elder Asay; I saw on his face a look of alarm. He later told me that when I had announced Brother Mourik as the first speaker, he couldn’t believe his ears. He said he knew that I had received his note and that I indeed had read it, and he couldn’t fathom why I would then announce Brother Mourik as a speaker, knowing he wasn’t anywhere in the temple. During the time all of this was taking place, Peter Mourik was in a meeting at the area offices in Porthstrasse. As his meeting was going forward, he suddenly turned to Elder Thomas A. Hawkes Jr., who was then the regional representative, and asked, “How fast can you get me to the temple?” Elder Hawkes, who was known to drive rather rapidly in his small sports car, answered, “I can have you there in 10 minutes! But why do you need to go to the temple?” Brother Mourik admitted he did not know why he needed to go to the temple but that he knew he had to get there. The two of them set out for the temple immediately. During the magnificent choir number, I glanced around, thinking that at any moment I would see Peter Mourik. I did not. Remarkably, however, I felt no alarm. I had a sweet, undeniable assurance that all would be well. Brother Mourik entered the front door of the temple just as the opening prayer was concluding, still not knowing why he was there. As he hurried down the hall, he saw my image on the monitor and heard me announce, “We will now hear from Brother Peter Mourik.” To the astonishment of Elder Asay, Peter Mourik immediately walked into the room and took his place at the podium.” I love this story because it not only shows what an inspired Prophet and leader president Monson is but it also shows the importance of following and trusting in the spirit. As we learn to recognize spiritual promptings and act on them with faith, our lives and the lives of those around us will be greatly blessed. For me, sometimes it can be quite difficult to tell the difference between inspired thoughts and just random thoughts. The difference is the feeling in our hearts that comes with inspired thoughts. Yea behold I will tell you in your mind AND in your heart. We need to always strive to be sensitive to spiritual promptings and then have the courage to act on them when they come.
In D&C 11:12-13 it reads, “And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good—yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit. Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;” My favorite part of that scripture is the last line, “which shall fill your soul with joy.” I have been able to recognize the spirit many times because it truly does fill my soul with joy. Countless times after praying and studying the scriptures I have felt joyous and happy. The spirit truly can fill our souls with joy and I am so grateful for the true happiness that comes from the spirit.
As I have received my mission call and started getting ready to go I have noticed increased opposition against me. Satan has been working hard trying to discourage me and fill my mind with doubt. But as I have made going to the temple a priority in my life I have been able to stay strong. The spirit is so strong in the house of the lord and I don’t know what I would do without the temple. I feel so blessed to live so close to one. At the beginning of this year I made the goal of going to temple to do baptisms about once a week. Although there were some weeks when I didn’t go, going on a regular basis helped strengthen my testimony and made a huge difference in my life. The temple is a place of peace, a place of refuge from the storms of life. A place where we can go to feel the sweet peace and joy that comes from the influence of the Holy Ghost. I challenge all of you to make temple attendance a priority in your life. In D&C 128:15 we read, “And now, my dearly beloved brethren and sisters, let me assure you that these are principles in relation to the dead and the living that cannot be lightly passed over, as pertaining to our salvation. For their salvation is necessary and essential to our salvation, as Paul says concerning the fathers—that they without us cannot be made perfect—neither can we without our dead be made perfect.” This scripture emphasizes the importance of doing temple work for our dead. For without them, we cannot be made perfect.
I would like to close with a quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley. In answer to the question, “How do we recognize the promptings of the spirit?” he said, “That’s the test, when all is said and done. Does it persuade one to do good, to rise, to stand tall, to do the right thing, to be kind, to be generous? Then it is the Spirit of God…. If it invites to do good, it is of God. If it inviteth to do evil, it is of the devil… And if you are doing the right thing and if you are living the right way, you will know in your heart what the Spirit is saying to you. You recognize the promptings of the Spirit by the fruits of the Spirit – that which enlighteneth, that which buildeth up, that which is positive and affirmative and uplifting and leads us to better thoughts and better words and better deeds is the Spirit of God.”
No comments:
Post a Comment