Monday, July 27, 2015

First 5 days at the MTC and Temple



Dear Family and Friends,

The MTC is awesome!! I'm doing great and I'm having a great time. Saying good bye to you guys was really hard and after I said goodbye to my family I thought I was going to keep on crying for the rest of the day. But once I started walking towards the MTC I stopped crying and I've been fine ever since. I really miss you all but I know I'm where the Lord wants me to be so I'm happy :)

Where to start. The first couple days were really hard. Our schedule was all the way full and I wasn't able to get as much sleep as I needed because my sleeping schedule before the MTC wasn't too great.  The lessons we learn in various classes throughout the day seem redundant sometimes but I'm still learning SO much.  Friday and Saturday were a lot better. We got to start doing a lot more teaching and I was able to get a little bit more sleep.  Other than the bloody noses and sore throats, I've been feeling great :)  We do a lot of role playing in class and my companion and I have taught two investigator lessons (both to our teachers) and one member lesson.

My companion is Elder Dayley from Pocatella, Idaho. He is awesome! I couldn't ask for a better companion. We're obeying all the rules, working super hard, and we get along great. I feel so blessed to have such a great companion.  My district is also super awesome.  We have 5 companionships. 2 Sets of Elders are going to the Chicago West mission, my companion and I and another set of Elders are going to Oklahoma, and the set of sisters are also going to Oklahoma.  We're having a great time together.  Everyone works hard and obeys almost all the rules.  Elder Hibbard from Rexberg Idaho is one of the funniest people I have ever met.  He keeps us all laughing and having a great time when we aren't working hard in class :) I wish the missionaries going to the Chicago West mission were going to Oklahoma instead with me because they are awesome people.

Last night's devotional was awesome.  We got to hear from President Allen (The Managing Director of the Church Missionary Department) and we also watched David A. Bednar's devotion called "The Character of Christ". President Allen talked about making sure we all stay on our missions no matter how hard they get or how bad we want to go home.  Satan is the one who wants us to quit and if we do then he wins. If you haven't watched Bednar's devotional on the Character of Christ, you NEED to.  It was life changing and I plan on incorporating it throughout the rest of mission and throughout the rest of my life.  So if you haven't seen it, then go watch it! 

I went to the MTC choir practice yesterday which was awesome! We're singing "A Child's Prayer" at the devotional on Tuesday which is one of my favorite Primary Songs. The Spirit was so strong! The choir director is really funny and he also told us some really cool stories. One story was about the director or something of "The Other Side of Heaven". About 10 years after his mission, he got struck by lightning and could feel himself dying. As he was about to say a prayer, a voice in his mind said, "You served a full time mission for me." After hearing that he felt like he had the choice to live so he prayed and survived the experience. That story shows just how much it pleases Heavenly Father when we serve a mission for him and bring his Children closer to Christ.

The MTC has such a special spirit and it's so easy to feel the spirit here.  It's such a blessing to be more in tune with the Spirit.  As I've practiced teaching and taught some actual lessons I've been able to notice my tongue being loosed. Even when I don't know exactly what I'm going to say, I'm still able to say something that hopefully makes sense and helps the investigator increase their faith in Christ. It's cool to teach members who are pretending to be investigators but I can't wait to get out in the field and teach real people.  Everyone here loves the MTC but we also can't wait to leave and go out into the world.

The food here is really good and I don't have any complaints.  My meal times are pretty normal so I don't have to worry about going to bed hungry.  Although most people eat before we do so sometimes they run out of stuff but it's no big deal.

I've seen all sorts of friends from school at the MTC which is always fun because then you feel cool for actually knowing someone ;)

This morning we went to the Temple and I'm sure you'll here more about that from Uncle Kurt if you haven't already ;) We've all been looking forward to P-day so we can wear regular clothes and Email friends and family :)

I love you all and I'm so excited to hear what's happening in your lives!

Love,
Elder Larsen

 Kurt was working when Tyler came to the temple this morning and so Tyler and his companion got to have the royal tour of the temple.  I feel so blessed to have such a awesome and thoughtful brother. Thanks Kurt!  Here is the letter Kurt sent to Elder Dayley's family and to us.

Dear parents,

I saw your sons, Elder Dayley and Elder Larsen, today at the temple and took occasion to talk with them for a awhile.  They look healthy and happy.  They said the food is great and that they are having fun.  They have that nice missionary glow about them. You obviously did a good job preparing them.

After we talked for a while I took them on a little tour of some seldom seen areas of the temple including the roof.  

PLEASE DO NOT POST THESE PHOTOS TO ANY SOCIAL MEDIA.  Just maybe print a copy for the fridge.  Please don’t forward the pictures to the MTC either.  I don’t need 2000 missionaries over here at the temple wanting “their turn” to go on the roof.  

Congratulations on raising fine sons.

Best wishes,
Kurt J. Jensen
Provo Utah Temple Recorder

PS I got permission from Kurt to post these pictures on this private blog. :)
 I think this is a memory Tyler will never forget.
Thanks Uncle Kurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment