Monday, July 17, 2017

Surprise visit

Dear Family and Friends,

Wow, I can't believe how fast time is flying! It's seem like only a few days ago I was emailing y'all. The work of the Lord is continuing to hasten here in Seminole! :D

Monday for P-day the Sister Missionaries in Ada drove up to Seminole and we played board games with Margaret :) She gets lonely and so she really enjoyed the company and we all had a great time. Our appointment before dinner fell through so we did some finding. After dinner we tried to visit some people and ended up saying a prayer for guidance and talking to some people at some parks. One kid we talked to on the street used to go to our church for youth activities on Wednesdays and said he's been wanting to read the Book of Mormon #Miracle So we gave him a copy and bore our testimonies :)

Tuesday morning we visited Gordon but there was a lot of distractions/people around so we didn't really get anywhere with him. After lunch we had a lesson with Allan. He's still progressing really slowly, we'll see how this next week goes with him... After that we went to Wewoka and found a new investigator named Chip. He's an older guy and he's met with missionaries before. We taught him the restoration and said he was open to studying with us again :) We also found some solid potentials, one of whom hasn't ever heard of the Book of Mormon. After dinner in Seminole we visited some members and found another potential investigator :)

Wednesday morning we had a lesson with some recent converts, Jacob and Courtney, who are moving to Ada. After lunch we went to Maud and our 2 appointments fell through but we had some good visits with some members and tried some former investigators. When we got back to Seminole we tried some people and ended up doing some tracting. We ran into a crazy guy who believed that our purpose here in life was so that God could observe us and learn from us. So that was interesting. We dropped our investigator Chuy and had a great dinner and FHE with the Kimrays :)

Thursday we had interviews with President Mansell in Norman which was great as always :) Got back to Seminole and visited some less-actives before dinner.

Friday morning we did some service helping Jacob and Courtney move some stuff. After lunch we visited Larry. He had 2 of his granddaughters over and they were watching some weird youtube videos. So we sat down and tried talking with Larry but the spirit obviously wasn't there. Then Larry got a phone call and stepped out on the porch. So I asked the granddaughters if we could show them a video. They eventually said yes and so we watched the Stop Bullying mormon message. Larry came back inside as we started the video and they all really enjoyed it. The spirit just filled the house. It was so neat to see the difference between when we got there and when we left. As we were leaving they started watching more videos on the Mormon channel :) It was so cool! 

Saturday morning we biked to some parks, talked to some people, and ran into a less-active who just barely moved back to Seminole and wants to come to church #Miracle After lunch we drove to Wewoka and biked around. We had a couple lessons with less-actives and we read 3 Nephi 11 with Chip. He seemed to enjoy it and seems a lot more committed to reading on his own now. 

Sunday was day 1 of our mission-wide bike week. We can only use the car for grocery shopping and district council this next week so hopefully we'll get to talk to lots of people and see some cool miracles :) In sacrament meeting we had a high councilman come and speak to us and it turned out to be a member from the Norman 2nd ward. And he brought Martin with him to share his conversion story and testimony! It was such a neat surprise :) In the afternoon we tried to visit lots of people and didn't have much success. After dinner we got to go visit Margaret and deliver the sacrament to her #TenderMercy When we got back to our apartment I got a surprise visit from my Uncle Kurt, Aunt Shauna, Nathaniel, Nellie, and Anna!! :) I was so shocked to see them, they were some of the last people I was expecting to see. They brought me some goodies and we got to talk for a little bit. They got permission from my mission president to come and visit me and it was one of the funnest surprises of my mission. Thanks again y'all, I love you! Haha see y'all again in a few weeks ;)

I really love this quote from Gordon B. Hinckley from chapter 14:
"I wish to be up and doing. I wish to face each day with resolution and purpose. I wish to use every waking hour to give encouragement, to bless those whose burdens are heavy, to build faith and strength of testimony."
One of the reasons I love my mission so much is because it has strengthened my love of service. I believe that learning to love service is one of the keys to happiness and continued faithfulness to Jesus Christ and his gospel. Service is a remedy for almost any affliction or heartache or challenge that we may face here in mortality. Service and love is the very essence of the gospel!

Well I'm excited for another week here in the Seminole ward and I hope y'all have another fun week of summer! Thanks for your prayers and support :)

Love, Elder Larsen
2 Corinthians 9:7 

No comments:

Post a Comment