Monday, January 11, 2016

Obedience Brings Miracles

Dear Family and Friends,

This past week has been another solid week. Transfers are a week and a half away on the 20th. Next week I'll know whether I'm staying in Clinton or going (Most likely staying :))

Tuesday night we went out with a member and taught a solid lesson about baptism and the Word of Wisdom. We got back to the apartment 10 minutes early so we went on whats called an obedience walk. Basically, you walk around by your apartment and try to find people to talk to in an attempt to be 100% obedient and diligent. So we started walking around and ran into this one guy who Elder Quinones talked to a while back (before I got to Clinton) and he's been reading the Book of Mormon and now we know where he lives! #Miracle

Wednesday we were able to visit a lot of investigators. We have an Indian lady who wants to be baptized and just needs to come to church now. We followed-up with another lady and she has listened to the first 12 chapters of the Book of Mormon. We contacted a media referral who is looking for a good church to go to and set up an appointment. That night we went with the ward mission leader to visit a Spanish lady, Laura,  who we had previously taught half of the restoration. We taught her the rest of the Restoration and committed her to come to Church. We got back to the apartment 10 minutes early again so we went on another obedience walk and found a guy who was pretty interested and gave him a Book of Mormon. #Miracle Hopefully we'll be able to start teaching him this next week.

Thursday was one of the harder days on my mission. The Spanish couple we were teaching dropped us, no one was home, appointments fell through, and the less-active member we ran into on the street started yelling at us and telling us we were going to Hell. But the weather was really nice so we were able to talk to lots of people and hand out 4 Book of Mormons :)

Friday and Saturday I was on exchanges with Elder Sanchez in Elk City. We taught the family that Elder Santamaria and I found when we were on exchanges last transfer. They have received the gospel gladly and the Mom is actually being baptized this Saturday! So exciting! Other than that, not much happened in Elk City.

Sunday was the best! We had 5 investigators at Church. The Ellis family came which was exciting. They're doing ok, they just need to make a decision on baptism. We also had Laura who came and when we talked with her last night she said she had a great time at Church! Carl also came for his first time which was a miracle! Bessie has been sick this week so hopefully she gets feeling better this next week. 

Anyways, I'm doing fantastic and doing my best to enjoy every day of my mission :) It's gone by so fast and it's crazy to think I've almost been out for 6 months now. A cool scripture I read this week is found in Mosiah 4:11-12
"And again I say unto you as I have said before, that as ye have come to the knowledge of the glory of God, or if ye have known of his goodness and have tasted of his love, and have received a remission of your sins, which causeth such exceedingly great joy in your souls, even so I would that ye should remember, and always retain in remembrance, the greatness of God, and your own nothingness, and his goodness and long-suffering towards you, unworthy creatures, and humble yourselves even in the depths of humility, calling on the name of the Lord daily, and standing steadfastly in the faith of that which is to come, which was spoken by the mouth of the angel.
And behold, I say unto you that if ye do thisye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God, and always retain a remission of your sins; and ye shall grow in the knowledge of the glory of him that created you, or in the knowledge of that which is just and true."

One of the keys to always being happy and always being filled with love is rememberingthe Lord. When we remember our own nothingness, strive to be humble, and remember to be grateful we will be truly happy. I've been able to notice that the times on my mission when I haven't been a happy are when I forget about the Lord and focus on myself. Remembering the Lord is a sure way to be happy and peaceful in life :)

I hope y'all have a wonderful week!

Love, Elder Larsen
Mosiah 4:11-12

Tyler sent me a quick note about his new mission president starting in July. This is what he said: 
In case you're interested, here's what President Walkenhorst knows about the new mission president we're getting this year:
"New mission president assignments will be announced in the church news this week. Darren J. Mansell and his wife Shilane Mansell will arrive in Oklahoma on or about July 1, 2016. Bishop Mansell currently serves as the Bishop of a Young Single Adult Ward in the Sandy, UT area. They have four sons, one has returned from a mission, one will leave for a mission this summer, and two will come to Oklahoma with them. The two that will come with them will be will be seniors in high school next fall (they are twins)"

No comments:

Post a Comment